By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is the Cream of Mushroom soup featured at our January 2023 wine tasting! From @twospoons.ca
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 sprigs thyme tied with twine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp miso white or red
1. In a small bowl and the cashews and pour in boiling water to soak. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic and bring to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until the onions have softened, about 7 minutes).
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour and mix together. Cook for 2 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a low simmer. Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes, then pour in the remaining broth. Cover and let the soup simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the cashew cream: strain the cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the miso and 3/4 cup of fresh water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
5. Turn the heat to low and pour the cashew cream into the soup. Stir everything to combine. Scoop out the thyme and bay leaf and serve.
This soup pairs perfectly with our red blend, Richie’s Angles consisting of 80% Malbec, 17% Cabernet Franc, and 3% Cabernet Sauvignon. This high-acid wine compliments the thick, creamy soup.